4. And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
5. The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptised by him in the River Jordan.
6. John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt round his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.
7. And this was his message: 'After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie.
8. I baptise you withwater, but he will baptise you withthe Holy Spirit.'